Sunday, June 6, 2021

What Are The Benefits of Learning Judo vs. Boxing?

 

What are the benefits of learning judo versus boxing?
Profile photo for An Drew

U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt was a competitive boxer, til boxing cost him his vision in his left eye, a competitive wrestler and a Judoka. Roosevelt wrote in a letter to his son that he believed Judo to be the best art for unarmed combat defense/self-defense.

Kodokan Judo has the advantage of training standing grappling, tachiwaza, and ground grappling, newaza, as well as giving one more options in a civil self defense altercation where it would legally behoove you to minimize the amount of damage you inflict upon another human being. Popular believe is that there are no rules in a street defense situation and that is true for the criminal but for the law abiding citizen or the law abiding police officer whom doesn't wish to risk going to prison for accidentally killing a man in a scuffle the laws that govern self defense must be observed.

Given the option of chin checking a drunk bully and risking him busting his skull on pavement after he falls from the jab-cross boxing combo or controlling his fall as I sweep him off his feet so he doesn't hit his head and then place him in a scarf hold or render him unconscious from a vascular neck restraint using Judo, which art provides me with safer options that will both allow me to effectively defend myself while minimizing injury to my attacker?

Which art provides me the options of restraining my attacker, disabling my attacker, crippling my attacker or killing my attacker, based upon the needs of the situation?

Boxing, despite being an outstanding art, only provides me with tools to evade injury or to knock an aggressor down with strikes.

Judo gives me many more options which can be modified to protect both myself & the aggressor, keeping me out of prison (in a civilian or police altercation), or modified to kill my attacker should situation require such a life changing response (as in military combat). Judo gives me many more options.

Lastly, Judo doesn't jeopardize one's hands with threat of life changing mechanical injuries the way boxing does when applied without reinforced hand and wrist protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment